Thursday, September 24, 2009

Elizabeth Sayer- LATISSE




The product I would like to discuss is LATISSE®. According to their website, LATISSE® solution is a prescription treatment for hypotrichosis used to grow eyelashes, making them longer, thicker and darker. LATISSE® is believed to affect the growth (anagen) phase of the eyelash hair cycle in two ways: first, it increases the length of this phase; and second, it increases the number of hairs in this growth phase. The exact way it works is unknown. Results may be seen at 8 weeks and full results at 12 to 16 weeks.

Since LATISSE® solution is the first and only prescription treatment approved by the FDA for “inadequate or not having enough eyelashes”, a doctors prescription is needed along with $120 for a months supply (ABC). LATISSE® is from the Allergan's portfolio of products which also includes Botox cosmetic, Clinique medical, lap-band AP, Juvederm and Restasis.

Some unique side effects after using this product are: skin darkening, eye irritation, dryness of the eyes, and redness of the eyelids (which is somewhat ironic considering that Allergan’s product Restasis “cures” irritation of the eye) and you should advised about the “potential for increased brown iris pigmentation which is likely to be permanent” (AKA the change of your eye color). Some more serious side effects include, “…new ocular condition (e.g., trauma or infection), experience a sudden decrease in visual acuity, have ocular surgery, or any ocular reactions, particularly conjunctivitis and eyelid reactions. It is possible for hair growth to occur in other areas of your skin that LATISSE® frequently touches. It is also possible for a difference in eyelash length, thickness, fullness, pigmentation, number of eyelash hairs, and/or direction of eyelash growth to occur between eyes. These differences, should they occur, will usually go away if you stop using LATISSE®.”

I thought it was interesting to cover this particular product because of our discussion in class about the necessity for particular human characteristics (i.e. breasts). I find it almost disturbing that women would care so much about the volume of their eyelashes. Most women I know apply mascara to create a fullness look, but for some that is obviously not enough and prescribed medication is required. For the most part, the patient comments after using the product is simply “I feel and look great. Everyone notices and asks if I’m wearing false eyelashes!” I understand that for some people the need for eyelash grow is need, especially for people with a severe illness or enormous amount of stress, but I feel that for the most part women are using this product simply because they feel they need to have full, long, dark eyelashes to be considered a sexy, confident, and successful woman. Just like with mascara, LATISSE, convinces women of their underproduction, underachievement, and lack of contribution to society because of their so-called “lack of beautiful eyelashes”. To not stand out as a gorgeous women means to not be contributing to society and can be seen as rebelling even. People wonder, “Why doesn’t she take care of herself? Why does she want to look that way?” The truth is who was the one to define the appropriate level of femininity?

1 comment:

  1. I think it was a great choice to present this product on our blog. But I find it disturbing to read the side effects. I have new been one to use mascara because I have thin and short little eye lashes. I can say for sure I would never want to try a product that could cause eye infections , abnormal hair growth in places touched by this product, skin discoloration, and/or loss of vision. There were other side effects I found upsetting as well but I guess I don't need to list them all.

    I know there is a need for women to look their best but when do we concede that we are not all perfect everywhere? It is scary that something so superficial like eyelashes could cause such serious side effects. Maybe if I were more concerned about my eyelash appearance I would be excited to try this product.

    ReplyDelete